facebook

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Seekers and Meditation

Last night I was reminded of the value of communion and discussion with others on a spiritual path. During a conversation after a talk related to meditation, I found myself reflecting in a way that even gave myself clarity.

I have been in pursuit of the true esscense of meditation before I knew that there were people that could teach me. I checked out an obscure book from the library... 4 times until someone lost it. It was out of print and to this day don't remember the name or the author. However, my spiritual journey over the last 12 years or so isn't vast by comparison to the clerics, Swamis, and new age people that have been doing it since the days of Parmahansa Yogananda, the T.C. movement, days beyond. I have however put myself in a position to study and learn directly from some of these traditions through Self Realization study, Tao, QiGong, Yoga, various masters such as Thich Naht Hahn, Sri. Kriyananda, Sifu Johan Sasynuik, Ajayan Borys and others. This has been direct in some cases indirect in others. But I digress.

During this discussion, the woman I was talking to was basically asking me how I approach meditation, how I stop the chatter in my head and many other things. For the most part it was a matter of the old seeker imparting to the newer seeker. With respect to how do I take a break, and simply enjoy unadultrated bliss?

In the promises of a fellowship I belong to we're told that ,"we will intuitively know how to handle things that used to baffle us." ... so I spoke from my heart. I asked her if she's familiar with Thigh Naht Hahn's teachings on Mindfuldess to which she said she had several books about but haven't read. I imparted the following.

If we drive for years, most things become habit and it requires little though, only paying attention when there is a reason for hightened awareness. For the most part we don't think 1. turn key 2. clutch 3. shift and ease gears...... 10. Turn right 11. observe changing speed... etc. We Dont! Sometimes we get caught in our mindless world and end up with a citation. So I asked, "What if you made a practice of noticing everything everyday for a period of time, "I am getting out of bed, I am eating breakfast, I am washing the car, I am sitting down, I am noticing everything around me." What if then you sat in the evening or whenever you prefer  to meditate and gave your mind body and spirit to let go of Noticing Everything... would you then slip more easily into the quiet oasis deep inside your spine? Would the chatter go away as though you had slid into a soundproof box? I believe that THAT'S one of the great wonderful things that Mindfulness practice gives us! The permission to meditate better.

To meditate in a non frustrating and totally blissfull manner is the goal. I say excercise and take note during active consciousness and your meditations will take you closer to yourself, and even closer to God.
Om Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning to you ! Would you care if I share your web site with my fb crowd? There's quite a lot of people that I deem mignt truly welcome your writings . Please tell me about it . Thank you

Before I go, allow me thank you for your tolerance with my English as (I'm convinced you have figured this at this time ,), English is not my mother tongue consequently I am using Google Translate to form out what to enter what I genuinely plan to state.

brian m dotson said...

I have difficulty with my own English, and I'm American. Sure you may use anything you like provided you reference back to me. Blessings.
Brian